CROWCOMBE HEATHFIELD STATION
Crowcombe Heathfield station lies on the preserved West Somerset Railway, the old G.W.R. branch line between Bishops Lydeard and Minehead.
Preserved steam and diesel trains run on most days of the operating season, mid March to mid October, and also on certain other days throughout the year. A timetable can be obtained from the West Somerset Railway’s own site at www.west-somerset-railway.co.uk
The first sod of the West Somerset Railway was cut at the site of Crowcombe Heathfield station on 7/4/1859 by Lady Isabel Acland-Hood, the daughter of Sir Peregrine Fuller Palmer Acland, a local landowner. The station was opened on 31/3/1862 as Crowcombe Heathfield, with one platform. A second platform was added when a passing loop and signalbox were built in 1879. It was renamed Crowcombe on 1/12/1889 to avoid confusion with Heathfield in Devon. When the line was completed, it was operated by the Bristol and Exeter Railway until this in turn was absorbed into the Great Western Railway and eventually nationalised as part of British Rail.
With the general decline in passenger numbers in the 1960s, the line was ‘rationalised’ by BR which included taking out the passing loop and therefore the signal box too, and generally allowing the station to decline into a very neglected state, until the line was finally closed on 4/1/1971
However, the present West Somerset Railway Company has re-opened the line in stages, from its inception in 1976. The section from Stogumber to Bishops Lydeard, including Crowcombe, was re-opened for passenger use on 9/6/1979, (it had had occasional use for filming purposes before then). Crowcombe station buildings and platforms have been restored by a dedicated band of volunteers since 1974 and the passing loop and signal box were re-instated being passed for use in 1994. The station won the prestigious "Best Restored Station" of the Association of Railway Preservation Societies in 1985.
The current main picture shows two of the visiting locos during our Autumn Steam Gala. On the left, David Sheppard's "Black Prince", No. 92203 waits for the arrival of No. 43106 on the 1245 from Bishops Lydeard on October 7th., 2012.
Before and early preservation
NEWLocomotives at Crowcombe Heathfield NEW
Fame; Crowcombe Heathfield as a location
Friends of Crowcombe Heathfield Station.
Click here to return to the West Somerset Railway Association web site.
Click here to go to Stephen Edge's web site of the WSR.
Created by Martin Southwood on 13/5/2002 and updated on 22/5/2014
Get a GoStats hit counter